Ben is a senior engineering geologist with over 17 years of experience.
He has worked within independent engineering consultancies as well as the mining and exploration industries. His experience is based on a wide range of projects spread throughout New Zealand while based in Auckland, Hamilton, and Christchurch as well as throughout Australia while based in MacKay, Brisbane and Gunnedah.
Ben is proficient in a wide variety of complex analytical and design software packages and also holds a UAV pilot’s licence. Professionally, his interests include geomorphological mapping, data analysis and design of rockfall protection structures. He also has a keen interest in the use of drones to supplement site investigations and slope monitoring.
His experience includes:
- geotechnical aspects of residential development
- small to large retaining wall design including cantilever and tied back timber pole walls, mass block, gravity buttressing
- detailed slope stability assessment using both Slide and Slope W
- design of slope reinforcement structures including anchored mesh solutions and slip interface strengthening using timber poles
- foundation design for structures ranging from house extensions to bridges
- design and construction supervision of small and large scale rockfall protection structures including active and passive systems
- emergency inspections, assessment and remediation recommendations for road infrastructure
- detailed liquefaction analysis
- scoping and managing ground investigations ranging from small residential to large scale highway
- bridge foundation and abutment design
- roped access inspection of rockfall sites
- photogrammetry modelling and assessment based on drone and DSLR imagery
Forming and maintaining long term relationships with his clients is one of the aspects of his work that Ben enjoys. This has led to relationships with, and continued work from, clients such as NZTA, a variety of district councils across New Zealand, road maintenance contractors, land developers as well as many ‘walk in’ residential clients.
Ben enjoys working collaboratively with clients and has worked in secondment roles to Broadspectrum NZ Ltd, Avalon Industrial Services Ltd, Pinnacles Civil Ltd, Solid Energy NZ and Waitomo District Council.